Welcome to the East Hills National Junior Honor Society Home Page. Here you will find useful information explaining the National Junior Honor Society, requirements of candidates and members, important dates, printable forms and anything else related to the honor society.
The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school and middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Character, and Citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in activities of the NHS (High School) and NJHS (Middle School). NHS and NJHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. Territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
(Information Accessed from the NJHS website – 11/1/2016)
Membership in this organization is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a student. Our chapter strives to give meaning to the Society’s standards of scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship, and character. The minimum requirements for consideration for admission are:
- Scholarship: Minimum GPA of 3.75 in the first marking period of 8th grade
- Character/Citizenship: Involvement in a minimum of 1 school-sponsored club, sport, or organization
- Character/Citizenship: Involvement in a minimum of 1 out-of-school activity (Scouts, sports, club, youth group, etc.)
- Leadership: Involvement in a minimum of 1 leadership activity
- Citizenship: In a minimum of 1 service activity
- Character: 3 Recommendations – one each from an academic teacher, another teacher or coach, and 1 from a community advisor
- Character/Leadership: Write a well-developed open-ended response
If you are chosen for induction by the Faculty Committee into the East Hills Chapter of the NJHS, you will be expected to:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.75
- Participate in all meetings – approximately 4 per year
- Pay $10 in membership dues per year of membership
- Complete 3 hours each semester during the school year (this is on your own time)
- Participate in the NJHS service project (minimum of one per year)
- Demonstrate leadership, good character and good citizenship
If you have any questions about being a NJHS member or about the application, please see Mrs. McDonald in room 158 or send an email to email@example.com