Parent & Student Weekly Email
Nitschmann Middle School Weekly Update
Sunday, August 5, 2018 to Sunday, August 12, 2018
All of this information can be downloaded at our Nitschmann Middle School Website!
Attachments to Review
Upcoming Dates to Be Proactive! (All dates are listed on our NMS website)
8/6 First Day of Band Camp, 8th Grade FB Equipment Fitting; 8/7 7th Grade FB Equipment Fitting; 8/13 First Day of Fall Sports Practice & Fall Sports Meeting @ 7pm NMS Auditorium; 8/23 New Student Walkthrough 7pm; 8/27 First Day of School (6th Grade 8:05am Arrival, 7th & 8th Grade 11:05am Arrival); 9/17 Back to School Night 6:30pm; 9/11 Patriot Day; 9/18 Founder’s Day
Monday, 8/6/18 Summer Band Camp (Blue and white day); 8th Grade Football Equipment Fitting
Tuesday, 8/7/18 Summer Band Camp (Favorite sports day); 7th Grade Football Equipment Fitting
Wednesday, 8/8/18 Summer Band Camp (Tie-dye day)
Thursday, 8/9/18 Summer Band Camp (Favorite movie character day)
Friday, 8/10/18 Summer Band Camp (Dress like Mr. Z. day)
PE/Health Schedule None at this time.
Recent Nitschmann News! (Always posted on our Social Media sites too!)
BASD E-News (Dr. Roy)
Summer Office Hours (Mayes) The Main Office & Student Services Office will be open all summer from 8am to 3pm, except on major holidays or as posted.
2018-2019 Student Schedules (Mayes) Schedules will be ready later this August than in past years. Please be patient as we complete them and have them ready just before the start of school. Information will be posted regarding the distribution of schedules on our social media sites, school website, and email.
Reminder to Parents – Home Access Center Down In Summer (Mayes) A reminder for parents that Home Access Center will be down for the summer as we conduct system rollovers.
Nitschmann Parent Group (NPG) -Follow us on Twitter! @NitschmannPG
Pres. – Erin Coughlin email@example.com
VP – Deb Clark firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary / Volunteer Coordinator – Kimberly Marcantonio JK0359@HOTMAIL.com
1) Amy Wuertele
2) Kimberly Marcantonio
3) Therese Gyauch
|Academic Team Updates
Team Lafayette (6th) (Twitter @NMSLafayette)
Team Lehigh (6th) (Twitter @NMSTeamLehigh)
Team Moravian (6th) – (Twitter @NMSTeam Moravian)
Team Kutztown (7th) (Twitter @TeamKutztown)
Team Penn State (7th) (Twitter @NMSPennState)
Team East Stroudsburg (8th) (Twitter @NMSTeamESU)
Team Northampton (8th) (Twitter @TeamSpartanNMS) None at this time.
Team Temple (Encore) (Blog) None at this time.
Counseling Corner (Kehler, Litak, Hipp) None at this time.
Student Services Updates None at this time.
Is your child interested in an after-school club or activity? Email the advisor for more information!
AM Basketball (Off. Conley) None at this time.
Anime Club (Advisors Mrs. Fehr/Mrs. Wallach) None at this time.
Art Club (Advisors Mrs. Kozero/Mrs. Lund) None at this time.
Bandfront (Advisor Mrs. Hriniak) None at this time.
Artsmart @ Banana Factory (Advisor Mrs. Lare) None at this time.
Cheerleading (Advisor Mrs. Wallace) None at this time.
Dance Team (Advisor Ms. Sierra) None at this time.
German Club (Advisor TBA) None at this time
Heart & Sole Club (Advisor Mrs. Hipp/Ms. Bouhana) None at this time.
FCS/DIY Club (Advisor Mrs. Hoffman) None at this time.
French Club (Advisor Mrs. Lare) None at this time.
Intramurals (Advisor Mr. Ortwein) None at this time
Lion Service Club (Advisor Mrs. McLaughlin) None at this time.
Mathcounts (Advisor Ms. Novatnak) None at this time.
National Junior Honor Society (Advisors Mrs. Wallach/Mrs. Lanzetta) (Twitter-@Njhs_Nistchmann; Instagram- @Njhs_Nistchmann ) None at this time.
Nitschmann Dramatics (Advisor Mrs. Hriniak) None at this time.
Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) (Advisor Mr. Amen) None at this time.
Reading Olympics (Advisor – Mrs. Nonnemacher) None at this time.
Recreation Games Club (City of Bethlehem) None at this time.
The Lion’s Den School Store (Advisors Mr. Dendrinos & Mrs. Evancho) None at this time.
Ski Club (Advisors Mr. Downey) None at this time.
Spanish Club (Advisor Ms. Bouhana) None at this time.
Step Team (Advisor Ms. Sierra) None at this time.
Strategy Club (Advisor Mr. Kehler) None at this time.
Student Council (Advisors Mrs. Ellis) None at this time.
Yearbook (Advisor Mrs. Ellis) None at this time
Nitschmann Middle School Performing Arts Department Updates
Mr. Zettlemoyer, Instrumental Music email@example.com
- Bring your forms. Form can be found here: http://www.nmsim.org/announcements/forms-needed-for-summer-music-camp/
- Sneakers must be worn for all rehearsals. There are no exceptions.
- Dropping off your child. Please do not drop off your child in the bus lane next to the building. Drop your child off in the main parking lot.
- Enter the school campus on 9th Avenue.
- Turn into the large parking lot.
- Drop off your child on the school side of the parking lot.
- Exit the parking lot by turing right, back on to 9th Avenue.
- Students should enter through the auditorium entrance to the building. This entrance is by the flag poles.
- Water is the only beverage permitted. NO GUM is permitted in the building!
- Water and various snacks will be for sale between rehearsals.
- Music will be provided for ALL students when they arrive at summer music camp. Copies have been made to fit into student music folios. Students do not need to bring copies with them.
- Orchestra begins at 7:30 – 8:30 AM for violin, viola, cello and string bass musicians. Students will receive music when they arrive at rehearsal.
- Band begins at 9 – 11 AM for bandfront (Color guard), winds and percussion musicians. Students will receive their music properly sized for their music folios when they arrive.
- Music folios for marching – All wind and percussion members will need a marching folio for marching. Please view the attached document entitled folios and lyres for pictures and descriptions of what you need to purchase. Folios and lyres can be purchased form any local instrumental music store and from online retailers.
- Folios and lyres will be need for rehearsal beginning on Wednesday, August 8.
- Jazz band begins at 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM for all jazz band invitees. Music will be distributed at rehearsal
- Students who have not received their school instrument already will receive it Monday during their rehearsal.
New for 2018
- THEME DAYS – Each day of summer camp will have a theme. Have fun dressing up for each theme. Please keep in mind that you must wear sneakers for all rehearsals. The instrumental music student officers council has come up with the following themes for each day of summer camp.
- 8/6 Monday – Blue and white day
- 8/7 Tuesday – Favorite sport
- 8/8 Wednesday – Tie-dye day
- 8/9 Thursday – Favorite movie character
- 8/10 Friday – Dress like Mr. Z. day
- 8/13 Monday – Pajama day
- 8/14 Tuesday – Hawaiian day
- 8/15 Wednesday Hat/crazy hair day
- 8/16 Thursday – Twin day
- 8/17 Friday – Superhero day
- TEAM ACTIVITIES – The orchestra, band, and jazz band will be divided into teams during their respective rehearsals over the next two weeks. Teams will be awarded with points for participating in the theme days, rehearsal, rehearsal activities and other events during summer music camp. The team with the most points at the end of each week of summer camp will receive a reward. We will also have a “Grand prize” for the team with the highest points total for the two weeks combined.
- Stay up to date on the latest by following the instrumental music groups on Twitter. @NMSBandOrch
- The Nitschmann Instrumental Music Association is now part of the Amazon Smile program. Now you can shop at Amazon, get great deals and support the Nitschmann Instrumental Music Association all at the same time. Please share this with your friends and family. Go here for more information.
Mrs. de Vries, Choral Music Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Parris, Choral Music Director email@example.com
Lions/Lady Lions Athletics Updates (Twitter @NMS_Athletics)
Mr. Jon Ortwein, NMS Athletic Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, August 13, 2018 @ 7pm Fall Sports Night at Nitschmann. All Fall athletes and parent/guardian MUST attend with Mr. Mayes, Mr. Ortwein, and our coaches.
August 13 First Day of Practice Students not present from Day 1 of tryouts may not receive the benefit of showing our coaching staff all of their skillset before the coach must make cuts. Plan on having your student at every day of practice. See times below under each sport.
Cross Country, Boys & Girls
Head Coach Miss Schwartz email@example.com
The cross country team for 7th & 8th grade boys & girls will begin practices on August 14-16 (Tuesday through Thursday) at 8-9:30 am. Meet outside the gym doors. Bring water & don’t forget your physical on 8/14!
Field Hockey, Girls
Head Coach Mr. Burzynski firstname.lastname@example.org
In this e-mail:
Dear Lady Lions,
I look forward to coaching and having fun in the 2018 field hockey season! A few things to consider as we close in on the start of the season.
You MUST have a physical on record with our St. Lukes training staff before you can attend practice. If you had the free physical done at Liberty or Freedom at the end of last year, you should be all set. If you did not, you must have a PIAA physical form filled out by a doctor when you show up for practice on Monday, August 13th. Here is the official form:
If you are having trouble getting an appointment from your family doctor you can usually get a physical done at a walk-in center.
St Luke’s North Care Now
153 Brodhead Rd
Bethlehem, PA 18017
Open 730am-1030pm m-f
Sat and Sun 8am-8pm
2310 Schoenersville Rd
Bethlehem, PA 18017
Open everyday 8am-10pm
Be ready to go on the first day. It may be hot and turf is a few degrees hotter than grass, so be heat acclimated on the first day by doing some runs and practicing outside for some extended periods of time before the first day of practice. You should be able to jog one mile without stopping. Here is a training guide to help you:
Missed the spring field hockey intramural session? No problem. You can catch up on many of the things we learned by watching and practicing the videos shown here:
The entire season will be posted on this calendar. The current game schedule is posted but there will definitely be more games added and changes throughout the season. I will always try to send out emails with the Weekly Reminders schedule on it to keep everyone in the loop. You can subscribe to the calendar if you use google calendars for yourself if you click on the in the lower right side of the calendar.
Before the first practice, I will send out an email with more information about practice materials and things to consider.
Head Coach Mr. Villani email@example.com
Equipment fitting for 8th grade students will be on Monday, August 6 from 3-6pm in the gymnasium.
Equipment fitting for 7th grade students will be on Monday, August 7 from 3-6pm in the gymnasium.
Practice will begin on Monday, August 13 from 4pm to 6:45pm. We will all then go to the parent/student meeting in the Auditorium at 7pm with Mr. Mayes. Don’t forget your physical on 8/13!
Head Coach Mrs. Hinkel firstname.lastname@example.org
Volleyball try-outs for 7th & 8th grade girls will begin on Monday, August 13th from 8-10am in the Main Gymnasium. Please come in the gym doors for practice. Don’t forget your physical on 8/13!
Mr. Peter Mayes
Nitschmann Middle School
A LEAD School, partnering with The Leader in Me
“Lions Lead the Way!”
Our Collective Vision Nitschmann Middle School is committed to cultivating a respectful community of innovative learners who are socially competent citizens ready to meet the challenges of their future.
1002 West Union Blvd
Bethlehem, Pa 18018
Main Office (610) 866-5781
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This communication is intended solely for the confidential use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by electronic mail. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately & permanently delete this message including all attachments. Thank you.