Dear 8th Grade Parents & Guardians,
Over the upcoming four weeks, there will be several activities and celebrations for your 8th grade children as they complete their middle school experience with us at Nitschmann Middle School.
If you have specific questions or concerns, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Major Events for 8th Grade Students
Thursday, 5/30/19 Day 2 8th Grade Track Meet @ LHS
- Students will be transported to and from Liberty High School to participate or watch the BASD 8th Grade Track Meet. Directions regarding this day will come from your child’s 8th grade teachers.
Friday, 5/31/19 Day 3 8th Grade Dance @ Ice House (6 pm – 9 pm)
- Only Nitschmann Middle School 8th Grade students may purchase a ticket and attend the dance. A ticket is required for entry. All tickets must be pre-purchased at school prior to the dance. Students cannot pay for entry at the door. No outside guests are permitted. Students are not required to attend in couples or with a date. Tickets will be distributed on Friday, May 31, 2019, in 8th period. Tickets will be sold from Tuesday 5/28 to Friday 5/31 before the dance on Friday, May 31, 2019. Students will receive their tickets for the dance in 8th period on the day of the dance. Students MUST be in school for the day on Friday to attend the dance. Students will not be dismissed for hair or beauty appointments early from school. Students who are not present in the 8th period will not receive their ticket and will not be permitted to attend the dance. Students who are absent from school will not be permitted to attend the dance.
- Students must report to the dance no later than 6:15 pm. Students will not be permitted to enter the dance after 6:15 pm. Students may not leave the dance prior to 9 pm. Students may be excused if they are sick by Mr. Mayes & Mr. Horlick only.
- Students must wear appropriate semi-formal attire to the dance and should review the BASD Code of Conduct. If you have a question, it is better to ask first before the dance. Girls typically wear dresses (semi-formal or formal) and boys typically wear suits/sport coats/ties/button down shirts.
- Students are responsible for their cell phones and personal belongings during the dance. Administration accepts no responsibility for personal items during the dance.
- Students who violate the Code of Conduct during the dance will be sent home immediately by the administration and will have additional consequences under the Code of Conduct.
- Students are to be dropped off at Sand Island between 5:45 pm and 6:15 pm. Parents & guardians should take photos prior to drop off. There will be no parking at the Ice House Lot.
- During the dance, music will be provided by a DJ and food will be provided by donations and the dance committee. There is no need for any student to bring money to the dance, as all items are included in the ticket price
- The dance is chaperoned by Nitschmann Middle School staff at all times. Students are expected to follow the directions of all chaperones at all times. Students may not leave the Ice House building at any time.
- Parents should go to the parking lot on the north side of the Lehigh Canal for dismissal. The road will be closed to Sand Island. Students will be escorted to the meeting area at the parking lot and will be dismissed from the lot. Please leave enough time to arrive, find a parking spot, and meet your child. Parking is limited!
- In order for a student to attend the dance, students must attend school on Friday, May 31, 2019, for the entire day (8:05am-3: 05 pm). Students who have a medical or dental appointment may be dismissed early, but must show a paper doctor’s excuse from the medical or dental office to attend the dance at the door to Mr. Mayes. Students that do not have this excuse will not be permitted into the dance.
Please review the attached .pdf directions for the dance.
Monday, 6/3/19 Day 4 8th Grade Moving Up Ceremony (6 pm – 7:30 pm)
- Each student in the 8th grade will be issued two (2) tickets for the Moving Up Ceremony in 8th Period on Monday, June 3, 2019. Your child will bring the tickets home for you on this date. If you requested additional tickets through the website & the request was approved based on seating, you will receive them in the envelope that your child brings home that day. Additional ticket requests will be confirmed by email. Students will not be dismissed for hair or beauty appointments early from school. Students who are not present in 8th period will not receive their ticket and will not be permitted to attend the ceremony. Students who are absent from school will not be permitted to attend the ceremony.
- Each person who enters the Auditorium must have a single ticket to enter. This includes all adults, children, children in strollers, infants, guests in wheelchairs, etc. We recommend not bringing young children to this event, as it can be a long event for children. Tickets are general admission with no reserved seats. Each ticket has several security features built into the ticket which can not be duplicated. Anyone with a duplicated ticket will not be permitted into the building. There are no additional tickets for the ceremony at the door. All tickets are transferable.
- There is limited parking on site. Please plan to arrive early, use all parking on site or in the surrounding neighborhood. We strongly encourage using carpooling to the event.
- All 8th grade students & any students performing in the ceremony will enter Nitschmann Middle School through the gymnasium entrance and gather with their teachers at 5:30 pm in the gymnasium. Doors will open for students at 5:30 pm. No one, except for students, may enter through the gymnasium doors.
- Students are expected to dress nicely for this event, which should include pants & button-down shirt for boys and dresses, blouse/skirt, or slacks for girls.
- The Auditorium doors will open at 5:30 pm for all ticketed guests. You may enter the auditorium and choose your seats. All seats will be needed for the ceremony, so please be considerate of everyone and fill every seat. Please do not sit in any reserved sections.
- The ceremony will promptly begin at 6 pm. Students must be on time by 5:45 pm.
- Please do not bring balloons, presents, loud noisemakers, etc. into the Auditorium. Please give them to your child once they leave school after the ceremony.
- Flowers will be on sale online & before the event outside the school. Please give them to your child once they leave school after the ceremony.
- Commemorative T-Shirts will be on sale online & before the event outside the school. Please give them to your child once they leave school after the ceremony.
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, students will process out of the Auditorium to the gymnasium and will be dismissed from the gymnasium doors. Please meet your child outside once they are dismissed from the gymnasium.
Tuesday, 6/4/19 Day 5 8th Grade Field Trip to Hershey Park
- Departure: Nitschmann Middle School, 8:30am. Students arrive as normal @ 8:05am.
- Return: Nitschmann Middle School, 6:30 pm. No BASD Transportation home from Nitschmann Middle School. There are no permitted parent/guardian pickups from Hershey Park.
- Lunch: Students will have a choice to bring their own bagged lunch(must be eaten before entering the park) or can purchase a lunch at the park. Students will NOT BE permitted to leave the park to get their lunch from the bus during the day.
- Extra Money: Students may choose to bring extra money for souvenirs/games.
- Bags: In the past, most students bring a string/gym bag to carry their belongings. Bags & hand-carried items are subject to search by park personnel upon entry to the park.
- Lockers: Lockers are available in the park for a cost of $15, payable at the park.
- Phones/iPods: These are permitted. Students are responsible for them throughout the day.
- Clothing: Students MUST wear appropriate clothing to school on the day of the trip. The trip is rain or shine, so please dress for the weather!
- Rules: For specific park rules please review the park rules at http://www.hersheypark.com/
- A reminder that the BASD Code of Conduct will be in effect throughout the trip. Students will be representing Nitschmann Middle School while we are there.
- Attendance: IF a student purchased a ticket and is unable to go, the student will still receive their paid Hershey Park ticket to be used on their own time. A cash refund will NOT be available for transportation fees. Students who are not attending the trip will be expected to attend school as normal.