Broughal Middle School Weekly Update
Sunday, May 28, 2023, to Sunday, June 3, 2023
- Leader In Me MRA
- Over the next week, we are asking all families to complete the LEAD MRA Family Survey. All answers will be anonymous and the survey is available in multiple languages. The survey will be available until June 4th at midnight. Please take a moment to complete this important survey. Family Survey Link
- Student Summer Opportunities:
- Summer Ramp-Up
- Broughal Middle School will be hosting SUMMER RAMP-UP for incoming 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Our Summer Ramp Up program will run from Monday, July 24th- Friday, August 4th at Broughal Middle School from 9:00 am – 1:45 pm. Students will engage in reading, math, social-emotional learning, and enrichment activities to prepare them for the 2023-24 school year.
- Please sign your child(ren) up using this form: https://forms.gle/DTUYbZagyfxKAFBC
- Summer Ramp-Up
- Broughal Mind & Body Club – Social Emotional, Mindfulness, Fitness Engagement
- Monday/Wednesdays from 3:15 – 4:30pm starting this week until the end of the school year
- Monday/Wednesday from 10:00-12:00pm during the summer.
- Important Dates:
- Tuesday 5/23 – 6th Grade to Iron Pigs
- Wednesday 5/24 – Music Broadway Trip
- Monday 5/29 – SCHOOL CLOSED for Memorial Day Holiday
- Thursday 6/1 – 8th Grade Track Meet at BASD Stadium
- Friday 6/2 – 8th Grade Dance 6:00-8:00 PM
- **Students MUST arrive at Broughal by 5:30 pm for the shuttle to Lehigh University**
- Cost is $5.00 – presale tickets will be available starting May 30th
- Non current Broughal students will not be permitted to attend
- Saturday 6/3- Great Southside Sale @ Broughal Middle School
- Thursday 6/8 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL – Moving Up Ceremony in Auditorium (6th & 7th can view from classrooms) 9:00am
- Monday 7/24 through Friday 8/4 – Summer Ramp-Up for incoming 6th, 7th, 8th graders 9:00 – 2:00pm – Details and sign up information coming soon.
- Thursday 8/3 – FALL Sports Physicals at Broughal MIddle School 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Please see the information below for district-sponsored events open to all BASD families!
*Weekly Schedule & Highlights*
Stay Connected with Broughal Middle School on the Official Broughal Social Media Accounts!
Facebook – @BroughalMiddleSchool
Twitter – @BASDBroughalMS
Instagram – @basdbroughalms
22-23 Broughal Middle School Yearbooks: Pre-order your yearbook now! – Students may pre-order their yearbooks in the library. The cost is $20 for a 64-page full-color book containing school portraits and action photos from sports and activities. The yearbook staff is working hard on creating the book and it will be delivered by the beginning of June. This is a fabulous way to remember middle school and celebrate your Broughal Pride!
Yearbooks should arrive at the beginning of June! You may order one now in the school library by sending $20 cash or check made payable to Broughal Middle School.
Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) – We are looking for parents/guardians who are interested in offering parent and family voice within many aspects of our school community. PTO meetings are held monthly on the 3rd Wednesday from 6:30-7:30pm. Meeting locations will be held throughout the community this year!
Please complete the PTO Interest Form to receive more information
*Student Services & Grade Level Contacts*
Contact Members of the Student Services Team by email:
7th Grade & 8th Grade Team Lehigh: Miss Bouhana – Assistant Principal
6th Grade & 8th Grade Team Lafayette:: Mrs. Cierech – Assistant Principal
Student Services Counseling Corner: Click Here!
Attendance Coordinator: Mrs. Vasquez-Tatis Attendance Secretary
Registration Coordinator: Mrs. Lisa Soto Guidance Secretary
Community School Coordinator: Ms. Anais Martinez
After-School Activities Coordinator: TBD
Communities in Schools: Halina John, Site Coordinator
Attention: Parents whose child is a part of CIS for the 2022-2023 school year…
As we come closer to the end of the year, CIS would love to know any feedback you might have. This feedback allows us to work over the summer on trying to bring in some of the needs you feel might have been missing this year. Please take a few minutes to fill out the “parent survey” that is linked below. Thank you so much for your input.
Parent/Caretakers Survey 2022-2023: https://forms.gle/owFCkAAmJweCyB4E8
What are Communities in schools?
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. CIS is partnered with Bethlehem Area School District to provide support services during the school day to meet academic and non-academic needs, such as behavior interventions, attendance awareness, social skill building, academic support, etc.
How to get involved?
CIS accepts students on a referral basis through the guidance or Admin team. CIS works closely with each grade level school counselor and Admin to best support students.
Mental Health Awareness Month:
~This month is mental health awareness month. In order to share information and resources. CIS will be sharing resources, and increasing information about mental health awareness. These resources will be positive messages, Informational handouts, activity ideas that can be done as a family that improves self-care, and more. If you have time please read over them and discuss.
*Grade Level News & Info*
6th GRADE Teams
Penn State – Team Leader: Miss Gammel
East Stroudsburg – Team Leader: Mr. Schomaker
6th Grade Guidance Counselor: Ms. Soto
7th GRADE Teams
Temple – Team Leader – Miss Reier
Moravian – Team Leader – Mr. Thomas
7th Grade Guidance Counselor: Ms. Lillie
8th GRADE Teams
8th Grade Farewell Dance will be on Friday, June 2, 2023 from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
We will have a pop-up Formalwear Shop at Broughal May 25th – May 31st. Students should sign up with their homeroom teachers to make appointments. Items provided include: dresses, suits, jackets, shoes, pants, belts, ties, jewelry, hair accessories, etc.
Lehigh – Team Leader – Ms. Vento
Teacher Contact Information:
- Social Studies – Mrs. Reese – Homeroom 308- email@example.com
- ELA – Ms. Trostle – Homeroom 301- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science – Ms. Vento – Homeroom 304 – email@example.com
- Advanced Math – Mr. O’Connell – Homeroom 302- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Algebra/Math – Mrs. Diernbach – Homeroom 303 – email@example.com
- Learning Support – Mr. Sitaras – firstname.lastname@example.org
- ELA/ELL – Ms. Delgado – email@example.com
- 8th Grade Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Simpson
Lafayette – Team Leader – Mrs. Sobrinski – Social Studies
Ms. Keptner – ELA
For ELA class this year, students will be reading a Book Club book each day for 30 minutes outside of class. You should see your Broughal student reading at home. Last year, we had students read 8-12 books during the school year! We will also be partnering with Fountain Hill Elementary School for a buddy program where our 8th-grade students pair up with a 1st-grade student to read and complete activities. This is how we build community!
Mr. O’Connell – Math
Miss Lawrence – Science
8th Grade Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Simpson
Hogwarts Grades 6-8 – Team Leader – Mrs. Putlock
Broughal Southside Singers: There’s still time to join Broughal’s award-winning choir, Southside Singers! Email Miss Putlock (firstname.lastname@example.org) and visit www.broughalmusic.org if you are interested in participating or would like more information.
STEM: Help our 8th graders make rockets in Miss Bennett’s class by donating empty (and rinsed!) 2-liter soda bottles and dropping them off in room 104!
Gifted Seminar: Please make sure you are completing your readings for our monthly book study.
*Health Services Corner*
Nurse’s Office – Mrs. Palovich & Mrs. Korscienski
Any questions please call 610-866-5041 and hit 2 for the nurse
COVID 19 Information
Please click here to see updated information regarding the BASD Tiered Mitigation Plan
BASD Parent Portals Link (Schoology, Home Access Center, SchoolCafe, etc.)
Parent Guide – How to Navigate Schoology
Tech Tip of The Week:
Parent/Family Schoology Access – Notes from BASD – Schoology/Home Access Help
- Just a friendly reminder that BASD does not have the ability to provide passwords to guardians for Home Access Center (HAC), Family App or Schoology.
- It is imperative that you have an active/current email address on file so that you will have the ability to reset your Home Access Center and/or Schoology password.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE! Broughal recently created a new YouTube channel and we need your help! The more people that subscribe, more features become available. Subscribe here: Broughal’s YouTube Channel
Please explore a new feature on our school website – Smart Device Management
*Broughal Middle School Music Department
Broughal Music – Interested in getting involved in Broughal Music? Check out our recruitment videos!
Early-Morning Rehearsal Schedule – 7 AM
Monday, 5/29 – NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, 5/30 – Orchestra
Wednesday, 5/31 – Band, Majorettes, Honor Guard
Thursday, 6/1 – Southside Singers
Friday, 6/2 – NO REHEARSAL
Students should be at the Main Entrance on Morton Street by 7 AM for early-morning rehearsals.
Broughal Music Directors
Instrumental Music: Mr. Stoltz
General Music/Chorus: Miss Putlock
Theatre: Miss Trostle
Band Front: Mrs. Truchan
Helpful Broughal Music Links
Broughal Music Handbook 2022-2023
Media Club – Attention Students! Are you interested in working on the morning announcements? Are you interested in working on media projects? Or posting to social media? Or podcasting? Or graphic design? Or all the above!?! And helping your school community?? Then Media Club is for you! Mr. L is looking for hardworking, dedicated students who want to be involved with these projects! There are after school, during school, and on your own time opportunities! It just depends on what you are interested in doing! Media club is a unique opportunity to give back to your school, showcase some cool things in digital format, and get involved! Leadership opportunities are available. All grades are welcome to join! Interested in applying? Please complete this interest form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfW5aszRRFST1eVNAQu4jmH9tLHO-QLDdjzSbUrtHJyswiJxQ/viewform?usp=sf_link You will be contacted via email (so make sure to check your email) with more information! Any questions? Please see Mr. L in room 354 or email him at email@example.com.
Visit our After School Activities page on the school website for a list of current activities!
Please contact our Community School Coordinator, Ms. Anais Martinez, for more information on after-school programs.
*Broughal Rockets Athletics*
Visit the Broughal Athletics webpage on our school website!
Summer Sports Physical Information:
Fall Sports Physicals: Below are links for sports physicals at Freedom & Liberty HS in June
Freedom HS – June 7th – 5:00pm – 8:00pm – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e49adae28a0f5c07-basd1#/
Liberty HS- June 5th 5:00 – 8:00pm – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0944aaa92fa7fa7-fall#/
We are pleased to once again be providing free PIAA physicals at Coca-Cola Park this summer. Attached below is the flyer and the sign-up link. You can register by utilizing the QR code on the link below. Also, the attached flyer contains the QR code for easy registration. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheerleading – Coach Gammel & Coach Farmer
Practice dates vary depending on bball game schedules/cheers at home games
Mr. Horlick, Principal
Miss Bouhana, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Cierech, Assistant Principal