Broughal Middle School Weekly Update
Sunday, Jan 29, 2023, to Sunday, Feb 5, 2023
- 8th grade BMS students will visit the Zoellner Arts Center exhibit, Traveling While Black, on February 21-24th during the school day. This opportunity is a 360 VR experience in which students watch “Traveling While Black,“ a short award-winning film that shows what Black Americans experienced during the 40s-60s when traveling throughout the United States.
- National Junior Honor Society – *Attention 7th graders* – NJHS Application deadline is 1/31. Please turn your applications in to Miss Reier or Miss Farber.
- Please join us for the Broughal Middle School production of ONCE UPON AN ISLAND JR!! Show dates are 2/17 through 2/19. Get your tickets before the show is sold out!! https:/www.showtix4u.com/event-details/70563
- Important Dates:
- Tuesday 1/31 – NJHS Membership application due date
- Tuesday 2/7 – 5th grade Student/Parent Welcome Night 6 PM
- Friday 2/10 – School Resource Officer Dance @ LHS 5-8 pm – Stay tuned for info from Officer L.
- Tuesday 2/14 – 8th grade Science of Dog Sledding/Snow Tubing @ Blue Mountain
- Thurs 2/16 – 1/2 Day School for students – Teacher In-service PM
- Tuesday 2/21 – 5th grade Student/Parent Welcome Night 6 PM
*Weekly Schedule & Highlights*
Stay Connected with Broughal Middle School on the Official Broughal Social Media Accounts!
Facebook – @BroughalMiddleSchool
Twitter – @BASDBroughalMS
Instagram – @basdbroughalms
January is School Board Appreciation Month. This edition of the eNews contains our thank you video to our School Board Directors. Also in this edition are photos from the week and the highlighted student from Calypso Elementary School, staff member from the Transportation Department, and Graduate from Liberty High School Class of 1999.
I hope you enjoy this edition of the BASD eNews.
22-23 Yearbooks: Pre-order your yearbook now! – Students may pre-order their yearbooks in the library. Cost is $20 for a 64-page full color book containing school portraits and action photos from sports and activities. The yearbook staff is working hard on creating the book and it will be delivered by the beginning of June. This is a fabulous way to remember middle school and celebrate your Broughal Pride!
Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) – We are looking for parents/guardians who are interested in offering parent and family voice within many aspects of our school community. PTO meetings are held monthly on the 3rd Wednesday from 6:30-7:30pm. Meeting locations will be held throughout the community this year!
NEXT MEETING – February 15th @ Bethlehem Public Library
Please complete the PTO Interest Form to receive more information
*Student Services & Grade Level Contacts*
Contact Members of the Student Services Team by email:
7th Grade & 8th Grade Team Lehigh: Miss Bouhana – Assistant Principal
6th Grade & 8th Grade Team Lafayette:: Mrs. Cierech – Assistant Principal
Student Services Counseling Corner: Click Here!
Attendance Coordinator: Mrs. Vasquez-Tatis Attendance Secretary
Registration Coordinator: Mrs. Lisa Soto Guidance Secretary
Community School Coordinator: TBD
After-School Activities Coordinator: TBD
Communities in Schools: Halina John, Site Coordinator
What are Communities in schools?
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. CIS is partnered with Bethlehem Area School District to provide support services during the school day to meet academic and non-academic needs, such as behavior interventions, attendance awareness, social skill building, academic support, etc.
How to get involved?
CIS accepts students on a referral basis through the guidance or Admin team. CIS works closely with each grade level school counselor and Admin to best support students.
*Grade Level News & Info*
6th GRADE Teams
Penn State – Team Leader: Miss Gammel
6th Grade will be attending a field trip to go ice skating at Steel Ice Center on 1/27. Permission slips and $8.00 are due by 1/20 to be included on the trip. We are excited. Here is a link to view the permission slip.
East Stroudsburg – Team Leader: Mr. Schomaker
We are all excited to start the 3rd marking period! In Mr. Lyons’ science class, students will continue their studies on fossils. Mr. Schomaker’s math class just started learning about ratios last week and will continue ratios this week. Mr. Hume’s ELA class is continuing its reading and writing about fiction and poetry. Mr. Falteich’s social studies class is in the middle of its ancient Egypt unit and will wrap up learning about ancient pharaohs.
6th Grade Guidance Counselor: Ms. Soto
7th GRADE Teams
Temple – Team Leader – Ms. Reier
Social Studies: Please continue to check Schoology for updates, class assignments, and current grades. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please reach out to discuss. Miss Reier email@example.com
Moravian – Team Leader – Mr. Thomas
7th Grade Guidance Counselor: Ms. Lillie
8th GRADE Teams
- The 8th grade is going Snow Tubing at Blue Mountain Ski Resort on Feb 14th – Please return the permission slip ASAP.
- PLEASE complete the Parent Survey for the Snow Tubing Trip. We need to know ASAP if your child needs any clothing for the trip. Check your email for the link.
- Upcoming Important Dates for 8th Grade:
- Wednesday 3/1- Team Lafayette to Constitution Center in Philadelphia
- Thursday 3/2- Team Lehigh to Constitution Center in Philadelphia
- Wednesday- Friday, May 10-12- Tentative 8th Grade Camping Trip
- Monday, June 5- 8th Grade Farewell Dance 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Lehigh – Team Leader – Ms. Vento
Teacher Contact Information:
Social Studies – Mrs. Reese – Homeroom 308- firstname.lastname@example.org
ELA – Ms. Trostle – Homeroom 301- email@example.com
Science – Ms. Vento – Homeroom 304 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Advanced Math – Mr. O’Connell – Homeroom 302- email@example.com
Algebra/Math – Mrs. Diernbach – Homeroom 303 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning Support – Mr. Sitaras – email@example.com
ELA/ELL – Ms. Delgado – firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Simpson
Lafayette – Team Leader – Mrs. Sobrinski – Social Studies
Ms. Keptner – ELA
For ELA class this year, students will be reading a Book Club book each day for 30 minutes outside of class. You should see your Broughal student reading at home. Last year, we had students read 8-12 books during the school year! We will also be partnering with Fountain Hill Elementary School for a buddy program where our 8th-grade students pair up with a 1st-grade student to read and complete activities. This is how we build community!
Mr. O’Connell – Math
Miss Lawrence – Science
8th Grade Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Simpson
Hogwarts Grades 6-8 – Team Leader – Mrs. Putlock
Broughal Southside Singers: There’s still time to join Broughal’s award-winning choir, Southside Singers! Email Miss Putlock (email@example.com) and visit www.broughalmusic.org if you are interested in participating or would like more information.
STEM: Help our 8th graders make rockets in Miss Bennett’s class by donating empty (and rinsed!) 2-liter soda bottles and dropping them off in room 104!
Gifted Seminar: Please make sure you are completing your readings for our monthly book study.
*Health Services Corner*
Any questions please call 610-866-5041 and hit 2 for the nurse
Dental Van will be at Broughal on 1/31/23.
Medical Van will be at Broughal on 2/2/23
*A signed parental consent is needed to be seen on the vans. If you feel your child needs access to the vans please contact the health office and the nurses will provide you with the required forms
COVID 19 Information
Please click here to see updated information regarding the BASD Tiered Mitigation Plan
Tech Tip of The Week:
Parent/Family Schoology Access – Notes from BASD – Schoology/Home Access Help
- Just a friendly reminder that BASD does not have the ability to provide passwords to guardians for Home Access Center (HAC), Family App or Schoology.
- It is imperative that you have an active/current email address on file so that you will have the ability to reset your Home Access Center and/or Schoology password.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE! Broughal recently created a new YouTube channel and we need your help! The more people that subscribe, more features become available. Subscribe here: Broughal’s YouTube Channel
Please explore a new feature on our school website – Smart Device Management
*Broughal Middle School Music Department
Broughal Music – Interested in getting involved in Broughal Music? Check out our recruitment videos!
Early-Morning Rehearsal Schedule – 7 AM
Monday, 1/30 – Band & Majorettes
Tuesday, 1/31 – Orchestra
Wednesday, 2/1 – Band & Majorettes
Thursday, 2/2 – Southside Singers
Friday, 2/3 – Jazz Band
Students should be at the Main Entrance on Morton Street by 7 AM for early-morning rehearsals.
Broughal Music Directors
Instrumental Music: Mr. Stoltz
General Music/Chorus: Miss Putlock
Theatre: Miss Trostle
Band Front: Mrs. Truchan
Helpful Broughal Music Links
Heart & Sole- Heart and Sole (Girls on the Run for Middle School) is beginning to register girls for the spring season. Practices will begin in March and will be on Tuesday and Thursday. Please use this link to register your child! Please contact Ms. Gammel (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Burgio (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
National Junior Honor Society – Broughal is excited to announce we are establishing a Broughal Middle School NJHS Chapter this school year! 7th-grade students are eligible for membership in the Spring 2023 that will continue into their 8th-grade year. The NJHS membership application process will begin on December 1st, 2022.
- Please see these dates for details:
- Thursday 12/1/22 – Member applications window Opens
- Wednesday 12/14/22 – Application Workshop #1
- Wednesday 1/11/23 – Application Workshop #2
- Tuesday 1/31/23 – Member applications deadline Closes
- Wednesday 3/8/23 – NJHS Induction Ceremony 6:00PM – Families Invited
Visit our After School Activities page on the school website for a list of current activities!
Please contact Mr. Horlick for more information on afterschool programs.
*Broughal Rockets Athletics*
Visit the Broughal Athletics webpage on our school website!
Freshman Wrestling Practice – Grades 7, 8, 9
Freedom HS Wrestling – A bus will transport students to Freedom starting Weds at 3:00pm.
Liberty HS Wrestling – A bus will transport students to Liberty starting Tuesday at 3:15pm.
Girls Basketball – Coach Saltzgiver & Coach Thomas
Practice daily from 3-5pm
Boys Basketball – Coach Dobson & Coach Bonilla
Practice daily from 3-5pm
Cheerleading – Coach Gammel & Coach Farmer
Practice dates vary depending on bball game schedules/Cheers at home games
7th/8th Grade Winter Sports Physicals (Physical Packet / Section 8): A physical packet that athletes will need to fill out in order to participate. Section 8 will need to be completed by any fall sport athlete who is playing a winter sport.
Mr. Horlick, Principal
Miss Bouhana, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Cierech, Assistant Principal